Wednesday 27 April 2011

Why I walk the Camino. Part 2

So I don't walk the Camino for religious reasons. Why do I walk it?

My mate George asked me if I was on some kind of heroic quest. Well, yes, I suppose I am. Every journey is a kind of spiritual journey.

But I am not a hero. For me, it was Marmeladov who said it best: "A man must have somewhere to go."

0f our company of pilgrims, all are doing it for some kind of personal, and some would say, spiritual, reasons.

One of us has reached his mid-fifties after a successful business and political life. He is wondering what to do with the rest of his life.

Another began walking the Camino after a serous loss in her life and found that she experienced a profound change. She continues to walk.

Another told how her brother carried a stone in memory of their brother to place on the cross of iron. She too be imbued with the spirit of the Camino.

Others are walking the Camino because it gives them time to think.

For everyone, the Camino is a kind of quest in the sense that one has all the time in the world to think and perhaps to put those thoughts in order.

As I walk, I find that thoughts tumble in, and tumble about in, my head. Sometimes I can walk for miles, lost in my thoughts. Perhaps, the rhythm of my walking aids my thinking.

Perhaps my quest is to put my thoughts in order and to find meaning in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment