Wednesday 28 September 2022

León


Here I am in the town of León,

Once more to walk, a hapless peon.

There’s just one thing we will agree on,

It’s been a rather dismal eon.


I’m exhausted after two long flights and a long bus ride, not to mention an hour’s wandering around trying to find the León Hostel.


What am I doing in León? Well, three years and a half years ago, I stopped at León after walking the Camino de Madrid with my daughter Rach. So I thought I’d pick up where I left off. I’m bringing my hiking poles this time, and thereby hangs a tale.


I was prepared to check them in as luggage, and having bound them heavily in plastic, I arrived at the AirCanada counter. But the very helpful young person  wondered whether I could carry them on. She spent a good 15 minutes checking the regs, for there was no one behind me, and then gave a Eurekean chortle, and said, “Sporting gear! Take them with you”


I was a bit dubious but decided to give it a go. Having whisked his wand around the contours of my body, producing a sequence of beeps that sounded like R2-D2, and investigated those, the security guard looked at my encapsulated poles in the tray, turned to me, and said one word: “Mobility?” I nodded, and was through.


Oh, and one more piece of advice. Avoid seat 39B. It’s right next to a loo. Very handy for me, but I wasn’t the only one to use it. All through the night: Rattle-click-click as they open the door. Crack, as they slide in the lock. Oop-arssshh, as they flush, that unique sound of an aircraft toilet. Not much chance of snoozing.

3 comments:

  1. I feel I should be waving pompous and yelling “go Charles go!” but I think a heartfelt “Buen Camino” is more appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just raised my coffee cup to you and smiled.
    Buen Camino
    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again looking forward to your comments and observations along the way. One foot in front the other.

    ReplyDelete