Thursday 31 May 2012

Day 2. Breves a Varzy (23 kms)

31 May, 2012

There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy, Horatio.

Patrick's girlfriend is writing a book on twin souls, who are apparently like soul mates, but with a spiritual, almost telepathic connection. They can feel each other's pain, and he told me how, when he was ill in South America, she, at home in Belgium, suffered with him. And vice versa. If any of you out there have an inexplicable pain in your legs easing into a sense of euphoria as if you were drinking un bon petit vin de pays, then perhaps you are my twin soul.

But I shouldn't be facetious. Certain people may indeed experience this phenomenon. I would like to read her book.

We had a bit of a storm last night, and this morning the weather was fine again. Not so hot as yesterday. Good walking weather. We walked about half the time on minor roads, the rest on trails through the woods or across the fields. See the photo below.

Walking through the fields,I noticed that the wheat was barely two feet high, and I thought about the book Wheat Belly by Dr. Davis, and his contention that today's wheat has been bred to be so high-yielding that the stalks have to be much shorter to carry the extra weight of grain. Gone are the fields of waving wheat celebrated in song or the ones I remember years ago in the West Australian wheat belt.

After reading this book and his claim that modern wheat is not what it used to be and contains all kind of harmful products, I went off wheat and lost about seven pounds. In France, of course, I have had to abandon this regimen. How could I survive here without eating bread?

I'm feeling quite fit, due to our Friday rambles and almost daily climbs up Mt. Doug. Thanks, Juliet and Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment