Monday 25 March 2024

Day 12. March 24, 2024. Torremejia to Merida. 17 kms

We left the town with Circe on the right and an Amazon on the left.

It was a medley of roads this morning: national roads, old bitumen roads, farm roads, rural roads, gravel roads, dirt roads, and no road at all as I made my way through the olive trees trying to find the road. And even a railroad, which a couple of pilgrims followed off course. I passed by the usual olives and grapes and also a field of barley, perhaps to make Cruzcampo beer which prevails over Estrella Galicia in this province.


Within sight of the city of Merida I paused for a final rural reflection and repose. In a visual sweep I could see carnivores, eucalypts, olives, with gorse and lavender on the slopes, and of course I could hear the euphony of birds and insects. What a pleasant walk this has been! I could keep going to Santiago, but only if I could be guaranteed a bottom bunk at every hostel.


Arriving at noon I walked over the famous Roman bridge to a cacophony of bells. It certainly wasn’t grandsire triples! Why do Spanish bells clang and English bells peal? It was Palm Sunday. Later in the day we encountered another religious profession.


A good walk, good family, good friends, good food, good wine, good beer!




No comments:

Post a Comment