Sunday 8 May 2011

Day 38. From Eunate to Puente la Reina (5.3 kms)

8 May, 2011

It is time to declare a winner in the Footwear Stakes. I had thought that Tilley would win, hands down, but in fact, both pairs of socks are almost through just above the heel. In the end, though, I declare Tilley Endurables the winner, by a nose.

This morning we quickly covered the last few kilometres into Puente la Reina. Suddenly, there were pilgrims everywhere. They were ahead of us and behind us, and spilling out of the gites and bars. Without realising it, we had passed the junction where the two roads become one.

We had a last coffee and I said good-bye to Miek and Patrick. It was a sad moment. That evening, I raised my glass to them, as I'm sure they did to me.

I caught a bus into Pamplona where I am spending the night. Tomorrow, I will catch a train for Barcelona.

It is time to bid farewell to my good companions: to ebullient Miek, whose company I enjoyed so much during the last week of my walk; to Elisabeth, with her lovely English handwriting and disposition to match; to marvellous Marte, with the inbuilt antenna that could zero in on a wifi hotspot in any town, and who kindly taught me things I didn't know about my iPod; to Anna Maria, the warm and witty Icelander, who shared her thoughts about the Camino; and to Patrick, Master of Occitan and Connoisseur of Calf Balls, whose enthusiasm infected us all. And also to Jean Francois and Genevieve whom I'm sure I owe a few beers; and to all the other pilgrims I met along the chemin. Buen Camino!

If we do meet again, why, we shall smile;
If not, why then, this parting was well made.

No comments:

Post a Comment